Saturday, August 4, 2012

Silly Simple Solution: Dry Hands

Have you ever mulled over a problem for a good long while, wondering what the best way is to deal with it and then WHAM, like you've been hit by a mack truck, the solution comes to you and it's so simple that you feel absolutely silly for not thinking of it to begin with?! Well, I was feeling pretty stupid silly this morning when a simple solution to my problem dawned on me. 

I had been hemming and hawing for weeks about how dry and flakey the skin on the back of my hands has been. I haven't got a clue what's causing it {hand soap that's too harsh?} Regardless of the cause, the dry skin was driving me nuts. My hands would get creepily ashy SUPER fast after washing them, and even just rinsing them took its toll. I was constantly having to slather lotion on my hands, but I knew that even though I was moisturizing them I wasn't addressing the dead skin that needed to be sloughed off.  So this morning as I was about to dash out to the store to get some kind of exfoliating scrub that would have likely cost me somewhere around $30, a lightbulb went off in my head. 

Being a big fan of DIY/ at home remedies I couldn't believe that I hadn't thought to make and mix my own exfoliating scrub - Surely I had the ingredients to do so! I opened up my pantry and there they were: The ingredients {a whopping TWO, I might add}, Unrefined Coconut Oil and Organic Brown Sugar. Perfect! Totally simple, right?! 

I mixed 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and dug in, grabbing the lot of it in my hands and beginning to scrub. You don't need to scrub hard for this mixture to be effective. The brown sugar is perfect - Coarse enough to exfoliate, yet gentle enough not to damage your skin or leave it feeling shredded. Coconut oil is the naturally soothing and ultra moisturizing aspect of this dry skin fighting duo. Scrub for 1 - 2 minutes, rinse and bask in the glory of your absolutely silky smooth hands. 

Dry skin - Gone. Hands - Moisturized and soft. Problem - Solved!

8 comments:

  1. Surprisingly I have both at home - gonna try this right now!!!
    Would love for you to check out my new post

    http://fashionblends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this would work really well on feet too! I have to go get me some coconut oil.
    Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've once read this in a magazine a long time ago, but I had forgotten which oil (now I know it's coconut) I had to use. So thanks, now I can finally try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'm going to try this out!

    Would you like to follow each other?

    Evi xoxo

    The Notebook of a Fashion Lover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, this really works?? My hands are like dried up hobbit remnants, they're so disgusting. I really want to try this. And you're right, the store-bought versions are so grossly overpriced.

    This makes me want to look into other DIY skin/hair remedies. I need something to tame the frizz that is currently ambushing my follicles.

    Great post. Love how I always find something cool and different on here. Such a good blog.

    (And yes. leggings + shorts = attack of the wedgie.)

    -Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool! Definitely gonna try that! Check out the give away I'm doing on my blog.

    http://www.thefashionadroit.com/2012/08/because-were-wilde-about-you/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...appetissant!biz:)
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea, I really have to try this out as it is super natural! http://madrilicious.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...